YMCA National Swimming and Diving YMCA National Swimming and Diving HEALTHY COMPETITION
SKILLS FOR LIFE

National YMCA Competitive Swimming And Diving

Information For The YMCA Competitive Swim Community

Quick Links:  Home     Discussion Forum      Officials      Trainers     

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Rules and Officials
 YMCA of the USA Competitive Swimming and Diving Fo :YMCA of the USA Competitive Swimming - General :Rules and Officials
Message Icon Topic: Backstroke turn Post Reply Post New Topic
dkwallace3

Quote dkwallace3 Replybullet Topic: Backstroke turn
    Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 7:58pm
Looking for advice on judging backstroke turn, specifically how to distinguish a delayed or noncontinuos turn from a really slow or sloppy turn that might still be legal.  Any suggestions on objective criteria to apply especially when multiple lanes are turning at the same time?
IP IP Logged
joel black
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote joel black Replybullet Posted: Jun/20/2012 at 12:15am
One needs to remember what the rule allows the swimmer..." a CONTINUOUS single arm pull or CONTINUOUS simultaneous double arm pull may be used to initiate the turn." The rule does not address whether that pull must be performed in a rapid manner, or slowly. The operative word is "continuous". Therefore, if the swimmer finished the pull, and failed to "initiate the turn," that would be an infraction of the rule, and result in disqualification. The speed at which the arms pull is not relevant. Your comment regarding "slow or sloppy turn" is of no consequence, as long as the arm pull is "continuous."
I hope this helps

Joel Black
National Officials Chair
YMCA Swimming
Joel Black
IP IP Logged
jeff_roey

Quote jeff_roey Replybullet Posted: Dec/16/2012 at 9:01pm
I'd like to continue the conversation regarding BS turns.  I've always found conflicting interpretations about whether 'kicking into the wall' during a BS turn is legal and my questions pertain to that.

The question is once a swimmer turns from his/her back to the breast, and while the swimmer is executing the continuous single or double arm pull allowed by the rules, can the swimmer must continue to kick up until s/he begins the flip? 

The way I interpret the rules is since they only speak to a continuous single or double arm pull and are silent on the matter of "continuous turning motions" and "kicking" (101.4.3), the swimmer can continue to kick after s/hes on the breast and either executing the arm pull or after.  In other words, the 2012 rules dont limit a swimmers ability to kick all the way up to the flip.  Is that the right interpretation?

Another way I think it's commonly interpreted is once a swimmer turns from his/her back to the breast, and while the swimmer is executing the continuous single or double arm pull, the swimmer must not continue to kick.  In other words, once a swimmer flips on the breast during the execution of a backstroke turn, the only motive force they can put into the water until the completion of the turn is the single or double arm pull.  When I ask "why?" the response is usually something like ". . . it's not a continuous turning motion if kicking through . . ." I don't think this the correct interpretation of 101.4.3. 

When I look at the rules and ask myself "which one prevents a swimmer from kicking after turning on the breast during the backstroke turn?" I can't point to any of them.  Appreciate your help clearing this one up!

Edited by jeff_roey - Dec/16/2012 at 9:02pm
IP IP Logged
Ed Miller
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Moderator - Officials

Quote Ed Miller Replybullet Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 7:37pm
Kicking has no effect in judging the turn; the swimmer may kick all the way through the turn.  If the swimmer rotates past the breast during the turn, he/she must immediately initiate the arm pull, if they are to take an arm pull.  Then when the arm pull is completed, their head must immediately initiate the turn, which can be done by an upward movement of the head.  Also keep in mind that the swimmer does not have to take an arm pull; he/she can immediately initiate the turn with the movement of the head.

Ed Miller
YMCA National Officals Committee 
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version