YMCA National Swimming and Diving YMCA National Swimming and Diving HEALTHY COMPETITION
SKILLS FOR LIFE

National YMCA Competitive Swimming And Diving

Information For The YMCA Competitive Swim Community

Quick Links:  Home     Discussion Forum      Officials      Trainers     

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Rules and Officials
 YMCA of the USA Competitive Swimming and Diving Fo :YMCA of the USA Competitive Swimming - General :Rules and Officials
Message Icon Topic: Relay Team Make-up Post Reply Post New Topic
CBice

Quote CBice Replybullet Topic: Relay Team Make-up
    Posted: Jan/06/2013 at 9:16am
Ok, I have another question regarding relays.  On a relay such as the Boys 11-12 200 free Relay, can a substitution be made to replace one of the swimmers with a girl rather than a boy?  Or do all swimmers in that event be male?

I checked the rulebook and found info on substitutions in section 101.7.1 and 101.7.3.D, as well as 102.3.7.  But I am not sure what rule applies here, and I can't find anything that says the make-up of the team must be all male.

Your help with clarification of this is appreciated.
Chris A. Bice
IP IP Logged
Ed Miller
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Moderator - Officials

Quote Ed Miller Replybullet Posted: Mar/31/2013 at 7:23pm
This is an interesting question.  Rule 205.3 allows competition to be divided by gender, but does not require it.  In such case, the Meet Announcement or Invitation becomes controlling.  If events are separated by gender in the Meet Announcement, and the order of events set forth therein, (e.g., Boys' 11-12 200 Freestyle Relay), then only those swimmers meeting the creiteria can participate in a particular event.  In this case, only 11-12 boys could swim in the event.  If the meet announcement listed the event as a Mixed 11-12 200 Freestyle Relay, then both boys and girls could participate.

Ed Miller
YMCA National Officials Committee
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version